Who else is obsessed with banana bread?
Oh you, too? Yeah, I thought so.
Let’s just face it banana bread is pretty dang delicious and also super versatile.
There’s all kinds of banana bread. Dry, moist, dense, fluffy, you can add cocoa, cinnamon, nuts, seed, dried fruit. The options are endless. Type ‘banana bread’ into a google search and you get 3.770.000 results and that’s just from the German search version.
I tried endless different recipes and loved them all. I mean it’s hard not to love the outcome when bananas are involved, right?
However I was in the mood for just a plain fluffy version of it because I’m really into eating my banana bread with different types of spreads lately. I’m not saying you can’t eat a super moist chocolatey banana beard with even more chocolate spread on it, I wouldn’t judge you if you did because I do that myself all the time. But – and I never thought I would say that – sometimes a little less chocolate can be nice as well.
Back to what I was saying, so I wanted a basic recipe and I decided to not follow any specific recipe but just work out my own.
The outcome is quite a winner I must say.
Super fluffy, sweet but not too sweet so you can still add a ton of chocolate spread without falling into that sugar coma. Moist but not sticky and with a subtle coconut flavor, which if you don’t like coconut I’m going to give you another option.
The good thing about this basic recipe is that you can also go ahead and get creative. Add whatever you want. Chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, you name it.
Alright here’s the magic recipe:
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 3tbsp water
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (sub for almond flour if you don’t like coconut)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 5 ripe bananas (the spottier the better)
- 6-8 dates
- 1 tbsp soy yoghurt
- approx. 1/3 cup soy milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Mix ground flaxseeds with the water and let it sit while you prepare the rest.
- Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Add the bananas, dates and soy yoghurt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour your banana mixture into the bowl and add the soaked flax seeds.
- Combine and add in just as much soy milk as needed to make it a sticky dough. Think more like a cookie dough.
- Spread the dough in a loaf pan and put in the oven for 35-40 minutes.